- Grant portal opens: February 3, 2020
- Letter of Intent (LOI) submissions: February 27, 2020 5pm CT
- Notifications to non-profit organizations about the status of their LOI: Late April
- Grant award notification and disbursement: August
With limited funds, the process is highly competitive, and we are only able to support a small portion of the total number of grant requests received.
American Family Insurance Dreams Foundation Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is my organization eligible?
Organizations must meet the following criteria:
What information do I need to fill out a Letter of Intent?
- Currently registered as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization as designated by the IRS in good standing.
- Office located in one of our 19 operating states: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, or Wisconsin
- Program or project must fall within our grant priorities.
- Grants may not be made to organizations that discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, or disability status
What types of programs are funded?
- Program or service that fits within giving priorities
- Organization Federal tax ID number/EIN
- Program/project budget
- Description of program for which you are applying and its potential impact in the community
- Number of individuals served through the program/project
- Programs and projects that meet our giving priorities
- Please see a general list of things that are typically not funded:
May I discuss my organization’s ideas for a grant prior to my application?
- Fundraising events, sponsorships
- Memorial grants
- Places of worship
- Scouting groups
- Requests to support travel
- General operational support
- Capital campaigns or projects
- Lobbying, political or fraternal activities
- Medical research
- 501c3 organizations outside of our 19 operating states
What are your recommendations for the amount of funding to request?
- The Dreams Foundation has limited staff able to discuss all proposal ideas prior to application. Please refer to the giving priorities to determine if your project/program is a good fit.
May I apply multiple times in a calendar year for the same program/project?
- The average grant award is approximately $10,000.
- We generally strive not to be the sole or majority funder of the total program/project budget
Will I know when my application has been received or if it is funded?
- Organizations may only re-apply in the same year if funding was not approved. However, if the grant request is approved, the organization may not apply again for another year after a progress report is submitted.
If our organization is awarded a grant, what are the requirements?
- Yes. The person whose contact information is listed will receive a confirmation email upon receipt. That same person will receive an email regarding the status of the Letter of Intent.
- Grantees are requested to submit a progress report at the end of their project or one year after the award to share results as compared to the initial goals of the grant.
If you have any questions, please Contact Us